The Léglise family from Libourne founded what is now Château L’Evangile and during the mid 18th century, they were actively involved in building the Pomerol vineyard. L’Evangile appeared in the 1741 land registry under the name of Fazilleau, and was later sold to a lawyer named Isambert who renamed the estate “L’Evangile”.
At the turn of the 19th century, the estate already held much of its current configuration, stretching out over 13 hectares. In 1862, Paul Chaperon purchased L’Evangile. His descendants, the Ducasse family, would remain the property’s owners until 1990 when the estate was purchased by Les Domaines Barons de Rothschild (Lafite).
Chateau L'Evangile is situated in the appellation of Pomerol on a long strip of deep gravel soil which it shares with its neighbors, Petrus to the north and Cheval Blanc to the south. Dating to the 18th century, the property was acquired by the Domaines Barons de Rothschild in 1990.